The plan, if it can really be called that. When I actually type it out it does sound kinda crazy…
- Ride Uber or Lyft from my house to the Sac Airport.
- Rent car at the airport and drive 250 miles to Florence Lake.
- Take ferry and hike (or just hike if ferry is closed due to low water) 11 miles to Muir Trail Ranch.
- Hand keys to my rental car to two guys (who I still actually haven’t met in person) who will drive it back to Sac Airport.
- Hike on the John Muir Trail approximately 110 miles from Muir Trail ranch to Whitney Portal.
That’s the part I had signed on for, because I thought I had a ride from Whitney Portal back to my house. But that ride seems to not be a possibility anymore. So now in addition to the above I’ll need to:
- Hitchhike or hike 11 miles from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine.
- Ride the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority bus from Lone Pine to Reno.
- Take Amtrak or Greyhound bus from Reno to Sacramento.
For some reason it’s the second portion of this that’s giving me second thoughts. That’s crazy huh…